Monday, November 24, 2008

Missed Opportunities


I was out today with Mercy and Ivy, going to the grocery store for the Thanksgiving necessities. we decided to do lunch out instead of eating before we left. 

We went by Arby's. There was a group of kids there from a local middle school, obviously out for a field trip. After I'd ordered and sat down with the girls, I kept turning my attention back the field trippers who were sitting directly beside us. All of them were guys, cutting up and laughing... just like boys do. 

There's a Bojangles and Wendy's right beside the Arby's, and all the kids from the field trip spread out across the three restaurants. After Mercy, Ivy and I had almost finished eating, two boys came in together, sitting down with the group of boys beside us. One was carrying his own packed lunch, and the other was empty handed. I watched as they sat down, not really a part of the conversation, but there nonetheless. I noticed the empty handed boy had pants that were about 3 inches too short, and his shoes weren't the "cool" kind... and looked much too small. He watched the other's eating, and kept looking at their food. I so wanted to ask him if he needed me to buy him some lunch, but I thought it may embarrass him in front of the other kids...besides, since they came in a little later, maybe they'd already been to one of the other places to eat... 


The boy actually asked another guy if he was going to eat his fries, he said yes... then about 5 minutes later, the kids with fries handed him the fry carton with a few crumbs and lots of old ketchup in it... the boy quickly took it and looked inside, then saw it was pretty much empty... the other kids laughed... 

One of the teachers walked over and asked the boy with the bag lunch if he was enjoying his vegetarian lunch (that's why he packed his)... the kid replied yes, then mentioned that his friend was hungry. the teacher asked why he'd not eaten, he said he had no money... so the teacher told him to pick out something and he'd get it for him... 

I butted in and offered to buy myself, but the teacher said not to worry about it... so the boy was fed.. 


...and I ended up rushing out of there in tears because I missed such an opportunity to help out the boy... he was starving and we were throwing away fries that tasted bad... and now I wonder if he will have supper tonight... or breakfast in the morning... or pants that will be long enough to keep his legs warm if it snows later this year... 

How often do we miss out on these chances to be the hands and feet of God? Even now, my heart is literally breaking for this poor kid who wanted so badly to fit in, who was so hungry he was almost like an animal when he got his food... and now that chance is gone for me to help him out... 

I pray that I will see what God sees, and hear what He hears, so that I won't be so afraid of helping someone out next time. I pray that I will get another opportunity to help out that very boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

~~Thanks for leaving me some LOVE!!~~
If you know me IRL (in real life), please refrain from using our real names in the comments. Thank ya kindly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails Share